Every year Four Lakes Scuba Club hosts cleanup dives at Lake Kegonsa, Lake Waubesa, Lake Monona, and Lake Mendota.
Theses dives are the club’s way of participating in “Take a Stake in Our Waters,” which is a year-round cleanup project created by the Dane County Lakes and Watershed Commission.
We will be meeting at the listed location at the indicated time. All dives are shore dives, with the addition of the barge for our May 18th and June 2nd dives. Don’t forget to bring a dive flag and certification cards to all dives.
For our May 11, 12, 18, 19 dives: divers typically plan to go to a nearby restaurant for lunch afterwards, so feel free to join at your own leisure.
Below are all five cleanup dives for 2019:
- May 11th: Lake Kegonsa. Dive Site: Pleasant Springs Boat Launch: 2267 Williams Point Dr, Stoughton, WI 53589. We will meet at 9am, to be in the water by 9:45am. There is limited parking at this location, so carpooling is highly recommended. Normally there are parking fees at this location, however the city will be waiving the fees for us to do our dive. We will provide more information about parking when you check in that morning.
- May 12th: Lake Monona. Dive Site: Yahara Place Park. We will meet at 9am, to be in the water by 9:45am. This location has off street parking. We will meet in the park where Riverside Dr. and Yahara Place intersect. You may want to drop off your gear first and then find a place to park your vehicle. This dive site is at the mouth of the Yahara River so current is to be expected. Be aware that there is high boat traffic at this location, so dive with caution. With all the flooding last year, we anticipate that there will be a large amount of trash in this location.
- May 18th: Lake Monona. Dive site: Olin Park Boat Launch/John Nolen Drive Causeway. We will meet at the Olin Park Boat Launch at 9am, to be on the barge by 9:45am. There is a large parking lot a ways from shore, so you may want to drop off your gear first and then find a place to park your vehicle. We will be taking the barge from the park over to the causeway. So don’t be late, or you’ll miss the barge. This area is susceptible to large amounts of trash, due to its close vicinity to the busy road. People fish from the shore in this area so be cautious of fishing line. (Dive from the barge at the causeway is weather dependent, if the water is too rough we may have to dive at a different location nearby)
- May 19th: Lake Waubesa. Dive site: McConnell St. Boat Launch. We will meet at 9am, to be in the water by 9:45am. There can be limited parking at this location, so carpooling is highly recommended. There is about a 50 yard flat surface walk from the parking lot to the boat launch.
- June 2nd: Club Cookout and Dive! Lake Mendota. We will be meeting at the Mendota County Park: 5133 Co Hwy M, Middleton, WI 53562 at 10am to be in the water at 11am. We will have a cleanup dive followed by a potluck lunch (~1pm). We will be bringing the main coarse (burgers and brats) and water, but we ask that everyone else please bring a dish to pass, and BYOB.
Special Gear Rental Offers:
- Breezeway Bubbles Scuba: is offering Half price gear rentals and Free air fills and/or tank rental to all divers that participate in any of the six cleanup dives! Contact the shop in advance for Gear rental!
- Diversions Scuba: is offering $25 Gear rentals and Free air fills to all divers that participate in any of the five dives! Contact the shop in advance for gear rental!
- Hoofer Scuba Club Members: Hoofer Members will be offered Gear Rentals for Free! Rental Supply is limited. Sign up for gear in advance.